Effective professional development is based on addressing the identified needs of the participants. Collecting and analyzing data prior to creating the professional development presentation is an important step in the professional development process. Once professional development has been delivered it is important to determine if the instruction has met learner needs or if further training is required. Results from satisfaction surveys can also help in the process of modifying presentations for more effective implementation in the future.
For this assignment, create two data collection tools: a needs assessment and a satisfaction survey.
Needs Assessment Survey
The purpose of the needs assessment survey is to discover what professional development topics your colleagues believe would be most beneficial to them.
Create a list of at least 15 suggested topics that are appropriate for your school and are specific enough to address in a single professional development session. Choose one topic related to learner’s rights and teacher responsibilities (e.g., educational equity, appropriate education for learners with disabilities, confidentiality, privacy, appropriate treatment of learners, reporting in situations related to possible child abuse).
Using a 1-5 Likert Scale, create a survey that could be distributed to your colleagues via an electronic survey platform.
A satisfaction survey is designed to assess the level of participant satisfaction with a professional development session. Develop a generic survey using a 1-5 Likert Scale that could solicit feedback following any professional development session.
Include the following:
- At least 3-5 questions to evaluate the quality and relevance of the information presented.
- Minimum of 3-5 questions to evaluate the effectiveness of the presentation and the presenter.
- At least one open-ended response soliciting qualitative feedback.
Prepare your survey to be distributed via an electronic survey platform.
Submit links to your online surveys along with a 250-500 word rationale for your design choices, including the following:
- How are the topics you suggested relevant to your particular school or district?
- What law is related to learners’ right and teacher responsibilities for the chosen topic (e.g., educational equity, appropriate education for learners with disabilities, confidentiality, privacy, appropriate treatment of learners, reporting in situations related to possible child ) and how does your school or district implement the law?
- Why you believe the tools you developed may elicit valid and reliable data?
Support this answer with 3-5 scholarly resources.
While APA format is not required for the body of this assignment, solid academic writing is expected, and in-text citations and references should be presented using APA documentation guidelines, which can be found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center.