In this assignment you will examine IT systems applied to health information management (HIM), potential vulnerabilities of these systems, and protocols to mitigate the risk of data and security breaches that are due to these vulnerabilities. IT systems are used for health information and data management in many areas, including patient electronic medical records (EMR), hospital operations management, and health care policy decisions. The System Development Life Cycle (SDLC) is a project management framework used to assess IT systems and associated organizational needs to identify and implement improvements to the system. You will write a paper to examine how the SDLC framework can be used to assess an IT system applied to HIM and evaluate risk mitigation protocols that reduce system risk and improve patient quality of care.
Write a 5–6 page paper in which you:
- Choose a type of IT system applied to Health Information Management (HIM) for improved patient quality of care supported with an explanation for your selection.
- Examples include
- Electronic Health Record Systems.
- e-prescribing Systems.
- Clinical Decision Support Systems.
- Radiology Information Systems.
- Physician Order Entry Systems.
- Outline organizational needs that define the requirements for the selected type of IT system applied to HIM.
- Critique each of the five phases of the SDLC and how each addresses the organizational needs for the selected type of IT system applied to HIM.
- Assess three possible data and security breach vulnerabilities in the selected type of IT system applied to HIM.
- Evaluate three protocols to mitigate identified data and security breach vulnerabilities and improve the selected type of IT system applied to HIM.
- Synthesize how the outcomes from the analysis of a selected IT system using the SDLC can improve patient quality of care.
- Use at least three sources to support your writing. Choose sources that are credible, relevant, and appropriate. Cite each source listed on your source page at least one time within your assignment. For help with research, writing, and citation, access the library or review library guides.
This course requires the use of Strayer Writing Standards. For assistance and information, please refer to the Strayer Writing Standards link in the left-hand menu of your course. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
The specific course learning outcome associated with this assignment is:
- Analyze how health care IT technologies, databases, and business processes applied to patient information, data security, and data integrity can improve quality of care.